It is time for a big climactic battle. The setup:
– The demon Ornix walks the earth, reborn in unstoppable mortal form. The ley lines in the city were taken down as a result, and are being restored by the PCs to cage him in allowing for him to permanently die if his essence has no where to escape to – one remains.
– The feds (“Black Badge Division”, thanks Wynnona Earp) and some old world watchers (“The Oci”) have been brought together through PC action, to begin work on a massive banishment ritual
– Ornix doesn’t care about the mortal plane, he just wants vengeance against a faerie king, the Fae’s monarch, and is seeking the Fae to open a portal to the fae lands.
– The Fae personally, privately, summoned Azazel, another prince who hates Ornix, to the mortal plane – it was ghastly and definitely would have been “veiled” in other company, but it worked well here. He’s personally grossed out by Azazel now, but still wants him to help kill Ornix
– A trap has been set for Ornix, drawing him to where the Fae will be. The Fae has privately called Azazel for the same meetup. A local wolf pack (antagonists for most of the game) have been persuaded to keep Ornix’s underlings mostly at bay. The Wizard has the tools to restore the final ley line and complete the cage at any moment.
– The Fae has his own private goal of closing off the fae lands for good in this area, and is working with local terrain and weather spirits to help. The last requirement is to leech some of Ornix’s power to close it off for good, but he has to get close enough to shove the metal spike that the Veteran created into him
And this all goes down next session. I have some clocks, all interestingly tied up quite well. What I want to do is make some custom moves, obstacles, and things like that, that each risk ticking a clock, or preventing a tick.
So I need some ideas and help here to mechanically and thematically make this battle interesting. What obstacles will the banishment spell face? How will Azazel continue to build power to fight Ornix, assuming he still wants to? What will stop the Fae or the Wizard from completing their tasks?
Help me brainstorm, plussers